New competency standard for Highway Inspectors and Streetworks operations
Joining the IHE is easy using our new online application processJoin us now
The Highways Inspectors Board following UKRLG approval has set up additional units to provide for Highway Inspectors who undertake inspection of Streetworks activities as part of or the whole of their duties.
An additional register of competent inspectors has been set up for those who have demonstrated by formal assessment that they meet the required standards set by the Highway Inspectors Board. Registered Inspectors may be included in one or both registers dependent on their qualifications.
The scheme, run in a similar manner to the Highways Inspectors scheme will create a new competence standard and will assist in improving the quality of Streetworks reinstatements.
Specific new learning outcomes for Streetworks accreditation are:
- To have sufficient knowledge of the Codes of Practice for co-ordination of Streetworks
- To be able to ensure that fees and non-compliance charges are consistently applied and enforced
- To be able to ensure that contractors are compliant with NRSWA and permit regulations
- To be able to ensure that appropriate inspections are carried out correctly and recorded accurately
- To be able to demonstrate appropriate knowledge of other relevant Codes of Practice and legislation including TMA 20014, Local HAUC guidance and Local Permit Schemes
- To be able to demonstrate a standard and consistent approach to compliance
- To be able to recognise such risks that may occur when working on the highway and to identify and employ the measures required to ensure personal safety of those employed and other highway users
- To be able to define, prepare and write an appropriate Dynamic risk assessment as directed by any local direction or local risk matrix
- To be able to define and explain the importance of accurate record keeping
- To be able to identify and differentiate between different materials used in reinstatement of roads and footpaths
Competent inspectors who have completed any of the approved courses can apply to be added to the IHE Highways Inspectors (Streetworks) Register.
Please note: when applying you will need to upload a copy of your CV and your course certificate. Please include the course, organiser and dates of any Highway Inspectors training you have attended. The application process will ask you for a username (eg email) and password so that you will have access to our members area.
Verify an Individual
If you need to verify an entry on the Highway Inspectors register please click here. We aim to get back to you within 5 working days. DO NOT use this form if you want to apply to be a Highway Inspector. Please use the ‘apply now’ button above.