Professional Registration

Engineers who are professionally registered with the Engineering Council as a Chartered Engineer (CEng), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Engineering Technician (EngTech) gain letters (post-nominals) after their name. Professional registration can increase your earnings potential, improve your career prospects and attain industry recognition for your years of experience, expertise and hard work.

You can join the relevant IHE grade based on experience or academic qualifications but if you would like to achieve Engineering Council registration levels, you will also need to go through a Professional Review.

IHE’s fair but rigorous professional review by your peers proves your professional commitment and technical competence. Our review process comprises a report of your experience backed up by evidence and presented at an interview with two registered engineers if you’re applying for CEng or IEng. There is normally no interview for EngTech. There are also Individual routes to all registered titles.

IHE members have access to Professional Registration Guidance Documents which can be found in the members only section of the website.  If you have trouble logging in please email




What we offer

The IHE offer Professional Registration to our members in the three main national and internationally recognised status of engineering professional registration:

Engineering Technician

Engineering Technicians (EngTech) apply proven techniques and procedures to the solution of practical engineering problems. They are technically competent and are often skilled practitioners working under the guidance of others but can sometimes be managing small teams. EngTech is the most appropriate grade of Professional Registration for practitioners working on the highway on work such as: highway maintenance, Temporary Traffic Management and highway reinstatement including road markings and linings. It is also suitable for highway practitioners working in office based roles such as: CAD technicians, application and administration of Temporary Traffic Regulation Orders (TTRO’s) and contract administration.

Incorporated Engineer

Incorporated Engineers (IEng) maintain and manage applications of current and developing technology, and may undertake engineering design, development, manufacture construction and operation. They know ‘why’ as well as ‘how’ as well as holding a responsible position that requires them to exercise independent judgement, leading and managing teams.

Chartered Engineer

Chartered Engineers (CEng) develop solutions to engineering problems using new or existing technologies, through innovation, creativity and change and/or they may have technical accountability for complex systems with significant levels of risk. They lead or implement innovative or complex schemes taking the strategic view at all times.

Engineers and technicians need to undergo a Professional Review in order to achieve all of the above titles. In addition, they need to be a member of a licenced Professional Engineering Institute (such as the IHE) and supply a copy of their Continuing Professional Development to their Institute at periodic intervals for assessment by a Professionally Registered assessor.


Pathways to professional registration as an Incorporated Engineer

As an Engineering Technician, ICT Technician, or someone working in a technician role, have you noticed that your work status has progressed? Are you improving processes, making decisions, championing standards? Perhaps you’re managing a team or supervising projects. Now could be the time to consider registration as an Incorporated Engineer (IEng). There are many flexible pathways to becoming an IEng. Find the right pathway for you by using the Pathways toolkit below.

Contact us