Professional Certificates and Diplomas
Joining the IHE is easy using our new online application processJoin us now
Online: Active Travel – Planning & Design
- CPD Value: This course is awarded 24 CPD hours.
|Code||Dates||Location||Type||Cost (ex VAT)|
|AT2101|| Part one: 13-14 Apr 21
Part two: 25-26 May 21
|Online||Online via MS Teams||
IHE members £1,750
|AT2102|| Part one: 19-20 Oct 21
Part two: 16-17 Nov 21
|3 Brindley Place
IHE members £1,750
This course provides delegates with the information and skills to develop designs for walking and cycling infrastructure within the UK regulatory framework. It also leads to the Professional Certificate or Diploma in Active Travel. The Department for Transport Cycle Proofing Working Group has listed the IHE Professional Certificate & Diploma in Active Travel as an acknowledged product for engineers planning and designing active travel infrastructure.
Delegates will be able to understand the role of walking and cycling as modes of transport; plan spatial route networks; and, design appropriate links, crossings, junctions and other infrastructure to accommodate these modes.
Aims and Objectives
On completion of this course, delegates will be able to:
- Describe the role of walking and cycling within the wider context of transport planning;
- List the main sources of design guidance for these modes in the UK;
- Understand how to use an evidence-based approach for planning local route networks;
- Describe the 5 main design criteria that underpin walking and cycling infrastructure;
- Apply the design criteria in different types of road environment (links, crossings, junctions);
- Understand the regulatory signs and markings associated with different types of infrastructure;
- Plan and design direction signs for walking and cycling;
- Plan and design cycle parking;
- Undertake a review of existing or planned infrastructure to identify the design requirements;
- Develop design solutions in accordance with national design guidance.
The course takes place over four days which are split into two, two-day classroom sessions. Delegates will also be asked to bring their own local case studies for discussion and to undertake a practical design exercise at home.
The course content includes:
- Active Travel Policies
- Design requirements for pedestrian and cycle traffic
- Design Criteria
- Network Planning and Planning Tools
- Sources of Design Guidance
- Low Traffic Neighbourhoods
- Bus and Cycle Lanes
- Priority, signal controlled and grade separated junctions and crossings
- Cycle Parking
- Cycle Audit and Review (Level of Service) Tools
You will receive a Certificate of Attendance with CPD just for attending the course.
This course is intended for local authority staff, transport planning consultants and contractors working in the design of highway infrastructure.
Achieving the Certificate or Diploma
If you wish to go on to gain the Professional Certificate or Diploma then you will need to submit an Individual Portfolio of Evidence, which documents how you have achieved the competencies required. Click here to view the guidance document and application form. Please note: the fee to submit your application is included in the cost of the course.
Achieving Professional Registration
In addition, courses have an additional day set aside to make an application for EngTech Professional Registration.
If you have any questions regarding the course email us at: email@example.com
Terms & Conditions
Cancellations made less than 21 days before the meeting will incur a 50% charge. Any cancellations made within 10 days of the event will be charged at the full delegate rate. You can of course send replacement delegates.